Holiday Foods That Do Your Body More Harm Than Good
I think I can speak for most of us when I say that while family is great, and the art of giving and receiving is wonderful, but the food during the holidays is the absolute best! Despite that, there are some foods that do more bad than good to your body this time of the year.
- Candy canes are all sugar and flavoring. As tempting as they may be, try to steer clear of these.
- Sugar cookies may be beautiful to look at, fun to bake, and enticing to the taste buds, but it is better to leave them on the table than to indulge.
- Eggnog is probably the most popular drink this time of year, but one of the worst for you if you're trying to maintain your weight.
- Now this is probably one of my favorites, spinach and artichoke dip is like dip-able fat. My suggestion is to go for the hummus to scoop onto your vegetables or tortilla chips.
- Gingerbread looks deceiving because while ginger is beneficial to your health, the sugar and white flour almost negates all the possible good.
- Spiced cider is for those who don't like eggnog, but it's extremely high in sugar. So if you dare, approach with caution.
- Candied yams, I think you know what I'm going to say here. There are better ways to eat yams: baked, sautéed, heck, even boiled.
It's definitely hard to remember to eat healthy this season, but if you're mindful of what you are putting in your stomach, you should be just fine.
(via The Active Times)