Some of the Best Foods to Fight the Flu
With the weather getting colder, the days getting shorter, everyone is talking about flu season. So, I found a list of foods that will help you fight the flu before you even get it.
- Orange juice or other citrus foods are some of the best foods that you can have because they are packed with vitamin-C and that'll boost your immune system the best against cold and flu viruses.
- Green tea has so many good antioxidants for your body. I'm sure you've heard that a thousand times before now, so start drinking! Green tea is also known to fight cavities and protect your gums as well.
- Garlic helps to clear out the nasal passages (and make you cry!). It was given to Egyptian slaves to help give them strength enough to build the pyramids, it was thought to ward off vampires; there's not much it really can't do.
- Almonds are one of the best nuts that you can have as they're filled with fiber, folic acid, magnesium, calcium, potassium and vitamin-E.
- Ginger contains gingerol which studies have shown is a natural cough suppressant. I know that anytime I had a stomachache as a child, my mother would always give me ginger to settle my stomach as well.
- Horseradish is great for clearing stuffy noses and chest congestion, as it loosens mucus really well.
- And most famously, chicken noodle soup, which has long been known as the best cold and flu medicine. The chicken contains zinc, the vegetables are filled with vitamins, and the hot temperature works to loosen mucus. Mothers and grandmothers also did know best when they gave us soup.
(via My Recipes)