Never Grill These Foods
Tis the season for grilling! But, this might just take the wind out of your grilling sail. Before you turn the gas on, check out these foods that should never be grilled.
There is a website called Bloomberg.com that would really love to ruin everyone's Fourth of July barbecue. But, let me just say for the record that I will still be grilling the foods that are on the list of foods that you should not be grilling.
The reason they don't think you should be grilling these particular foods is because of taste. If you season them properly then you should have no issues.
Here are the foods that supposedly should not be grilled:
1. BURGERS. Their argument is the fat drips down . . . the outside doesn't get caramelized . . . and you lose all the flavor. You're supposed to use a plancha . . . a flat piece of cast iron you place on top of the grill. The Fourth of July is all about freedom though. So we say do what you want.
2. Filet mignon. It doesn't have ENOUGH fat for the grill. And they're usually pretty thick, so it's hard to cook them the way you want when you're using a flame.
3. Pizza. Most grills don't cook very evenly, and it's also hard to get the toppings to cook right. If you do try it though, use aluminum foil or a pizza stone. Otherwise you might have a tough time scraping it off the grill.
4. Most types of fish, including salmon. It tends to do better if you cook it on low heat. And with really flaky fish, the smoke hides all the flavor. Swordfish and tuna do pretty well on the grill though.
5. Pork chops. Again, you lose all that delicious fat. So they're better in a pan.
6. Shish kebabs. They actually ARE okay on the grill, but not the way most people do them. Vegetables tend to cook faster than meat. So don't put everything on the same skewer. Put meat on one, and veggies on another.