How to Prevent Yourself from Burning Out
It's healthy to have some stress in your life everyday, but too much stress weighing on you constantly can burn you out. The key is to prepare yourself for when you know stress is coming. Are finals coming up? Did you just get loaded with extra work at your job? Here is how you can prevent a burn out.
- Surround yourself with good people because hanging out with friends can help you feel better about all of your added stress.
- Take breaks away from a computer. No one can thrive if they're sitting at a desk for hours on end. Go outside for a quick walk around the block, or even just to the water cooler if you can. Aim for a five minute break every hour.
- Get some fresh air which can be hard when the snow is falling down like it is today, but all the recirculated air in the library or the office is not good for you for hours at a time.
- Eat healthy food as much as you can. Avoid prepackaged food like chips or cookies and try eating more fresh fruits and vegetables. Real nutrition will help you feel better.
- Exercise when you can get away from your cubicle because it will help release all of your pent-up energy that you can't do anything about while sitting all day.
- Get enough sleep which is a great tip for anyone wanting to be healthy in general. The best way to rejuvenate your mind and body is to get a good night's rest.
If you are treating your mind and body well when you aren't stressed out, you will be better prepared for when you are in a burn out situation. Be healthy and be safe!