Three Sent to Hospitals After Vestal Sam’s Club Gas Line Break
The Sam's Club store in Vestal's Town Square Mall was evacuated following a water line break that caused a natural gas line to rupture.
The incident at the store on the Vestal Parkway East occurred around 10:45 a.m. Monday.
Units from the Vestal fire department and the volunteer emergency squad were dispatched to the business.
Vestal fire chief John Paffie said a water pipe inside the store burst and soaked some insulation. That in turn resulted in the break to a gas line.
Water was seen pouring from an elevated section on the southeast corner of the store. An odor of natural gas was noticeable outside the store.
NYSEG crews were called to the scene to assess the situation.
Vestal police Lieutenant Christopher Streno said about ten people were evaluated for possible symptoms linked to inhaling natural gas. He said he believed three of them were transported to hospitals. No condition information was available.
Water was ponding on the floor of the store near the main entrance. Water also poured into the parking lot adjacent to the store.
Store employees told would-be shoppers that the business was closed until further notice. NewsChannel 34 reported a sign posted at the entrance indicated the store would be closed for the remainder of the day.
The Sam's Club corporate office did not respond to a request seeking information about the extent of the damage or when the store would resume operations.
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: email@example.com.
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.