In an effort to save both reading materials and small appliances, one library is requesting its patrons stop trying to microwave books to disinfect them from possible COVID-19 contamination for one simple reason -- you're gonna start a fire.

KISS 104.1 logo
Enter your number to get our free mobile app

A burned book was recently returned to a library in Michigan. When questioned about its condition, the patron explained they tried to microwave it to disinfect it from germs.

MSN News reports:

"Library books have metal in the security radio frequency identification (RFID) tags,  which are located inside of the book. When the metal entered the microwave, a hole was burned into the cover."

We confirmed with the Buffalo & Erie County Library they are quarantining returned materials for 72 hours, and that their books also have RFID chips so please don't explode your microwave with them.


How to Make a No-Sew Face Mask From Leggings

More From KISS 104.1