According to a report by Diane Rutherford of WWNY, two New York parents are facing charges after their now three-years-old child accidentally ate a THC-laced candy bar and ingested cocaine.

KISS 104.1 logo
Get our free mobile app

According to the report, the parents, 33-year-old Jeffrey Jessmer and 30-year-old Lisa Pitts of Winthrop, were arrested by state police last week after lab results confirmed that the child had ingested THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, and cocaine.

According to court documents the parents were sleeping when the child took a THC-laced candy bar from their bedroom and ate it. It is not known how the child ingested the cocaine, but Jessmer and Pitts admitted to buying the drugs. According to the court documents, the candy bar was "left unsecured and in the general area of other regular candy bars."

They were discovered in the child's system when they took him to Massena Memorial Hospital, shortly before he was transferred to Upstate Medical Center due to the severity of his condition.

Jessmer and Pitts were charged with first-degree reckless endangerment, endangering the welfare of a child, third-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, and third-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell.

The report also indicated the now three-years-old child has fully recovered from the incident.

With the legalization of recreational marijuana in New York, it's an important reminder to keep marijuana out of the reach of children who may not know what they're eating. Just a few weeks ago, a Long Island child was hospitalized after accidentally ingesting cannabis-infused gummies he got while trick-or-treating.

25 Craziest UFO Sightings in New York in 2022

New York residents see a lot of weird things in any given year, but some of us claim to see things outside the normal level of New York weird like UFOs.

25 Worst Paying Jobs in New York State

Here's the 25 worst paying jobs in New York State. Is your job on the list?

More From KISS 104.1