Almost an entire family of dogs were sickened and later died as a result of exposure to blue-green algae in Ohio.

According to WIVB, "Algae toxins can kill dogs within 20 minutes after being ingested."

This is what happened to a family in Lima, Ohio. Their four dogs drank water from a nearby retention pond, and soon became ill; three of the dogs died, reports WIVB.

According to the latest DEC map of algae blooms, there are blooms reported at Chestnut Ridge Park in Orchard Park, along Chautauqua Lake, Java Lake, and Silver Lake.

See the latest map from the DEC here.

WIVB reports, "There are more than 10 toxins from algae, some can kill dogs almost immediately."